Hello and welcome to my ePortfolio for RESL 1500 Undergraduate Research Certificate!

INTRODUCTION.

My time as a TRU student has provided me with many different research opportunities in many different areas. Beginning in my third year, I have been actively involved in research. The first experience I had with research was doing a directed studies with Dr. Matthew Reudink in the BEAC Lab. In this lab, I was fortunate enough to work on a project that observed Mountain Bluebirds and if heavy metals had an effect on the colouration of their feathers which in turn affected their survival. In the summer I was fortunate enough to be awarded a UREAP, where I was able to work with Dr. Reudink to analyze divorce rates in Mountain Bluebirds.

At the same time, I was also fortunate enough to begin my honours with Dr. Mark Rakobowchuk in human physiology. My honours projected was a year-long project that was researching if there the impact of salt loading on endothelial dependent vasodilation and arterial blood pressure. This project consisted of testing a number of participants and conducting a number of physiological tests and subjecting participants to different conditions to observe their physiological response. Through this experience, I was able to develop a number of different laboratory techniques and expose myself to a new area of research that I was not familiar with before.

Finally, I was able to participate in a library-based directed studies with Dr. Don Nelson in regard to biological condensates. As this is an emerging topic in science, I focused on the role of condensates in the disease, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). This directed studies, once again, exposed me to a new area of research and with the help of Dr. Don, I was able to learn about biological condensates and the crucial roles they might play in our bodies.

THE STANDARDS.

List of Research Courses:

• BIOL 3980 Introduction to Research
  • BIOL 4980 Honours Seminar

REFLECTIVE ESSAY.

Jeeva Gill 2023